July 2nd, 2012 by faye
Music icon Celine Dion and her husband are currently facing a federal lawsuit from their former employee who alleges that the couple stiffed him of overtime pay for the work he has done at their huge Florida house.
According to reports, Keith Sturtevant, a former handyman of “Because You Love Me” singer Celine Dion has filed a lawsuit against Dion and her husband. He claims that he was hired in March 2009 as a “warehouse manager,” but says that he regularly worked at the singer’s house as well in Hobe Sound, Florida. The lawsuit of Keith Sturtevant states that he built stages, fixed ice makers, built bookshelves, cleaned house shutters, set up and tear down event equipment, repaired kitchen items, and ran miscellaneous errands for Celine Dion and her husband Rene Angelil.
The former employee added that although he had a “manager” title, he “did not have the power to hire or fire employees.” Keith Sturtevant also claims that he was asked to work 48 to 60 hours a week, but was not offered extra pay beyond his $63,000 a year salary, because he was designated as a private contractor. The lawsuit also stated that Celine Dion and Rene Angelil “improperly and illegally designated [Sturtevant] as an exempt employee” — which apparently allowed the couple to avoid paying him for any overtime work.
“There is no question he worked just tons and tons of overtime hours, and when it came to a head, that is when he left,” Keith Sturtevant’s lawyer Dennis Card told the Daily News.
“My client is not exempt from the Fair Labor Act, and they know it damn well,” Card, who filed the claim in federal court added.
The complaint also added that Celine Dion employed at least three other full-time maintenance workers as independent contractors “in an attempt to avoid paying workers compensation and appropriate federal withholding taxes.”
March 2nd, 2012 by faye
Reports say the French-Canadian diva Celine Dion has cancelled all her shows in Las Vegas for six to eight weeks after a Los Angeles doctor ordered her to rest her inflamed vocal cords when she was diagnosed with a viral illness.
Initially, the songbird was thought to be well enough to take the stage again Saturday, but unfortunately, Celine Dion won’t be able to resume performances until June 9 because of her viral illness, she announced on her website Tuesday.
“I tried to sing at my sound check last week, and I had no control of my voice whatsoever,” Celine Dion said in a statement. “We thought that after a few days’ rest I would improve, but it wasn’t getting any better.”
According to previous reports, Dion would do shows through March 3, but not after she was diagnosed with a viral illness and weakness in her right vocal cord during an examination at UCLA Medical Center on Monday.
The 43-year-old Celine Dion began her three-year residency at Caesars last March, with tickets going as high as $250. In a Times feature previewing the show, it was reported that nearly 1 million tickets were expected to be sold during the show’s three-year run. The casino cashed out $95 million building the Colosseum to house the production of Celine Dion in 2003. The diva’s previous run at Caesars Palace, “A New Day,” drew 3 million customers from 138 countries between 2003 and 2007, sold out 723 times and grossed more than $400 million. After the five-year run, Celine Dion went on a world tour before taking time off for family, giving birth to twin boys in 2010.
Due to her viral illness, reports say tickets for the canceled performances will be refunded, and that Celine Dion’s next series of performances is scheduled from June 9 to August 19.
February 15th, 2012 by faye
It has only been a few days since the passing of music legend Whitney Houston, and her family along with the fans and the whole Hollywood universe is still in a state of deep mourning. As the official cause of her death is not yet released by the coroner examining the superstar, singing diva Celine Dion already made her own judgment of what killed Whitney Houston, and she says it is indeed drug abuse.
On Monday, Celine Dion spoke to ‘Good Morning America’ via a phone interview, and she pinned the death of Whitney Houston on drug abuse, without a single trace of doubt in her.
“Whitney has been an amazing inspiration for me … It’s just really unfortunate that drugs, bad people or bad influence took over. It took over her dreams. It took over her love and motherhood,” Celine Dion told the ‘Good Morning America’ anchor, Robin Roberts.
Celine Dion then continued by naming other famous people who suffered a tragic death due to drug abuse, and she also acknowledged the control drugs can have on a person, particularly on celebrities and entertainers in the music industry. Celine Dion noted, “When you think about Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe and Michael Jackson and Amy Winehouse, to get into drugs like that, for whatever reason. Is it because of the stress and bad influence? What happens when you have everything? What happens when you have love, support, the family, motherhood? You have responsibilities of a mother and then something happens and it destroys everything.”
The 43-year-old Celine Dion went on saying that the death of Whitney Houston is a cautionary tale for the music and Hollywood industry in general.
“I am so scared. I’m scared of show business. I’m scared of drugs. I’m scared of hanging out. That’s why I don’t do parties and I don’t hang out. That’s why I’m not part of show business. We have to be afraid.”
While the cause of Whitney Houston’s death has not been determined officially, sources close to Houston’s family told TMZ the coroner has told them Whitney Houston died from Xanax and other prescription drugs mixed with alcohol.