August 14th, 2012 by faye
British singer-songwriter Elton John has fired back at the copyright infringement lawsuit filed against him, saying that the allegations are not only “baseless and absurd,” but also completely miss the “essential legal point.”
According to the legal documents filed by 65-year-old John, “The suggestion that the Grammy-Award winning composer/lyricist team of Elton John and Bernie Taupin … would need to copy these commonplace elements from [Hobbs'] lyrics is not only baseless and absurd, but it also misses the essential legal point.”
Previous reports from various media outlets said that the English singer was sued by self-proclaimed “award-winning” photojournalist and songwriter Guy Hobbs, who claims that the 1985 “Nikita” of Elton John was stolen from a song that Hobbs wrote back in 1983 entitled “Natasha.” The song talks about his affair with a Russian cruise ship waitress. Guy Hobbs added that he had the song copyrighted and even sent the lyrics to publishing companies, including Big Pig Music Ltd., which exclusively publishes the songs of John.
Meanwhile, the song “Nikita” of John is about a German female bodyguard during the Cold War, but Hobbs claims that the two songs bear “significant similarities.” Now, Guy Hobbs is suing for copyright infringement and is seeking unspecified damages.
At the time, Elton John was “surprised and disappointed” over the lawsuit filed against him. Back in April, a representative for the multi-awarded singer and Taupin released the following statement:
“Sir Elton John and Mr. Bernie Taupin were surprised and disappointed to learn of the lawsuit for copyright infringement brought against them by Guy Hobbs concerning the lyrics of their 80s hit ‘Nikita.’ Sir Elton and Mr. Taupin do not know the plaintiff, nor did they make use of any song lyrics he claims to have written when they wrote ‘Nikita.’ In short, the suit is completely meritless. The fact that Hobbs has chosen to wait more than 26 years after the release of ‘Nikita’ to bring this lawsuit calls his motives into question. Sir Elton John and Mr. Taupin fully expect to prevail against this baseless claim.”
June 1st, 2012 by edsel
The recently-bedridden Elton John is not only “doing incredibly well and recovering,” said his partner David Furnish, but will also be performing for Queen Elizabeth II during her Diamond Jubilee.
E! News reported that a serious respiratory infection sent the 65-year-old singer to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles last week. The Rocket Man was forced to drop a week’s worth of Million Dollar Piano concerts in Las Vegas.
However, according to a recent report by the BBC, David Furnish said that his partner is now “doing incredibly well and recovering.”
In addition, the rep of Elton John confirmed that the musician will be present and performing at Monday’s Diamond Jubilee concert honoring Queen Elizabeth II.
The Rocket Man will join Beatles veteran Paul McCartney, Kylie Minogue, and other British stars in celebrating the 60th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace in London. Only one other Queen of England had reached her Diamond Jubilee: Queen Victoria.
The spokesperson of Elton John had also announced that his European tour will start on schedule this Friday.
According to the spokesperson, the sickness that laid Elton John low was “nothing more than a chest infection. You rest and it’s better,” he said. “Everything that’s planned is still happening,” John’s rep assured anxious fans.
May 28th, 2012 by edsel
Elton John has been forced to cancel a string of Las Vegas performances after his illness grew worse and his doctors recommended bed rest.
According to E! News, the 65-year-old singer developed a serious respiratory infection during the weekend. His condition worsened as time went by, and the Rocket Man ended up hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
After undergoing several extensive tests, Elton John was advised by doctors to rest and undergo antibiotic treatment for approximately seven days. He reluctantly canceled his ‘Million Dollar Piano‘ concerts scheduled for Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at The Colosseum in Las Vegas.
John issued a heartfelt statement to his fans from his bedside. “It feels strange,” he said, “Not to be able to perform these ‘Million Dollar Piano’ concerts at The Colosseum.”
According to his statement, Elton John loves performing his shows. “I will be thrilled when we return to The Colosseum in October,” he shared, “To complete the eleven concerts soon to be scheduled.”
Right now, though, the star apologized to his fans. “All I can say to the fans is sorry I can’t be with you,” he told them. “I hope to see you soon at this wonderful theatre at Caesars Palace,” he promised.
Tickets for the canceled ‘Million Dollar Piano’ concerts of Elton John can be refunded or exchanged.
April 2nd, 2012 by faye
Award-winning musician Elton John admits in an interview with David Burtka that he could have ended up just like the late diva, Whitney Houston.
During a sit-down with E! interviewer David Burtka, the 65-year-old Elton opens up about being bullied after he became a well-known artist, as well as his history of drug abuse. Elton John told Burtka, “I could have so easily ended up like Whitney Houston. It’s a miracle I didn’t because I’m sure I did as much cocaine as she ever did.”
“I was the perfect candidate for it. Even though I was famous and a big deal, it doesn’t matter, it’s who you are underneath that, and I was always kind of shy and intimidated,” John explains to David Burtka regarding the times he was bullied.
Then, he says of his bullies, “One was violent and the other two were mentally violent. They were very important people in my life. They were important people in my career and in my personal life,” said Elton John to David Burtka.
Meanwhile, the “Can You Feel The Love Tonight” singer is now happily settled with his partner of 20 years, David Furnish, together with their 14-month-old son Zachary. Elton John says he couldn’t be more thankful for how his life turned out.
Elton John told E! News interviewer David Burtka, “I would not be the person I am today [if I hadn't got sober]. I wouldn’t have Zachary, David. I wouldn’t have anything. I’d probably be dead.”
The couple – who welcomed Zachary through a surrogate on Christmas Day 2010 – are rumored to be planning to expand their family with a second child by the end of the year.
According to a source, “The wheels are in motion. David Furnish and Elton John have never hidden their desire to extend their family, and believe the time is right for another child,” adding, “By the end of this year, or the beginning of next year, there will be a fourth member of the John-Furnish clan.
“They are incredibly excited and loving every minute of parenthood,” concluded the source.
February 1st, 2012 by faye
It looks like it’s an all-out war between Elton John and Madonna! After his recent jab at Madonna during the Golden Globes this past month, Elton John took another strike at the Queen of Pop at a recent interview with ABC’s Chris Connelly. When asked what advice he wants to give Madonna when she performs during the half time show at this Sunday’s Super Bowl, the ‘Can You Feel The Love Tonight’ singer said, “Make sure you lip-sync good.”
The snide remark of Elton John towards Madonna is sure to create an even bigger gap and feud between the two successful artists.
Madonna will be headlining the event in Indianapolis on Sunday, but Elton John is supercilious of the upcoming performance. He quipped, ‘I’ve never seen a decent one. Never ever,’ referring to the halftime performances which apparently have become almost as important as the game.
Additionally, Elton John said he would never wish to appear in the halftime show. However, he showed quite a sarcastic sympathy for artists who are chosen to perform when he said, ‘You have to play live, but I don’t think you can.’
‘In all fairness to everyone who’s done one before, you may be able to sing live, but it’s really hard to play live’ the 64-year-old singer said.
According to reports, Madonna is expected to belt out four songs, including her hit Vogue, plus her latest single Give Me All Your Luvin in a stage show which includes acrobats from Cirque du Soleil.
Elton John’s remarks, made on the Good Morning America TV show, will definitely make Madonna furious, after she has spent the past fortnight rehearsing for her 12-minute appearance.
The feud between Elton John and Madonna stemmed from the Golden Globes when both artists were nominated for “Best Original Song.” Elton John made his first strike at Madonna by saying she did not have a ‘******* chance of winning’ for her song ‘Masterpiece’ from the film ‘W.E’. And when Madonna brought home the award, Elton John’s partner David Furnish expressed his disappointment and audacity towards Madonna in his Facebook page where he said, ‘Madonna winning Best Original Song truly shows how these awards have nothing to do with merit.’
‘Her acceptance speech was embarrassing in its narcissism. And her criticism of Lady Gaga shows how desperate she really is.’
However, David Furnish backtracked his comments about Madonna and later tried to undo the damage by apologizing for the things he said.
Many artists consider the Super Bowl as a highlight and breakthrough in their career, as the game attracts a worldwide audience of over one billion! Some of the well-known artists to perform at the Super Bowl’s half-time show were Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, and The Rolling Stones.
Along with other singers and artists, Elton John will be a part of the big sports day festivities of the Super Bowl, starring in a commercial alongside X Factor winner Melanie Amaro.