September 27th, 2012 by faye
Business magnate Steve Wynn has just filed a permanent legal injunction against “Girls Gone Wild” founder Joe Francis to prevent him from making any further derogatory allegations against the casino mogul.
According to reports, 70-year-old Steve Wynn filed legal docs to ban entrepreneur Joe Francis from saying false and defamatory accusations against him. The permanent legal injunction is said to prevent Francis from speaking about the case altogether.
Wynn said that if Francis continues with his accusations, it will likely cause Wynn irreparable harm — most especially the allegations that the casino mogul is trying to have Francis killed.
As previous reports have stated, 39-year-old Joe Francis was taken to court earlier this year on charges of slander after he made false claims that Steve Wynn threatened to have him murdered and buried in the desert over a gambling debt.
Wynn won the defamation case and Francis was ordered by the court to cough up a total of $40 million in damages to settle the dispute.
However, Joe Francis vowed to continue his legal battle with Wynn by appealing the verdict, and he recently talked about his disappointment in the final outcome on his website. The entrepreneur wrote, “I still maintain that my life was endangered… One day the public will see that I am the real victim here and not Steve Wynn.”
February 27th, 2012 by faye
The ongoing dispute between Las Vegas casino mogul Steve Wynn and ‘Girls Gone Wild’ creator Joe Francis has finally come to an end. During a court hearing on Wednesday, the judges of Nevada District Court reached a decision and ordered Joe Francis to pay a total amount of $7.5 million in damages to Steve Wynn.
The beef between the two multi-millionaires started back in 2008 when Steve Wynn and Wynn Las Vegas filed a lawsuit against Joe Francis for failing to pay back the $2 million debt he reportedly incurred at the Wynn Las Vegas Casino. The lawsuit later intensified when Joe Francis threatened to expose the ways in which the casino head “deceives his high-end customers.”
David Francis, Joe Francis attorney said in a statement that he and his client intend to appeal the court order, citing that “Joe was not allowed to defend himself.”
After the court hearing, Nevada District Court Judge Mark Denton ruled in favor of Steve Wynn and Wynn Las Vegas, awarding $5 million in compensatory and $2.5 million in punitive damages. The ruling disproves the false claims against Steve Wynn and Wynn Las Vegas that Joe Francis has publicly announced over the course of three years.
Joe Francis still owes $2 million plus interest and fees to Wynn Las Vegas as determined by the Nevada District Court in 2009. That judgment still stands and Wynn Las Vegas will continue its efforts to identify and attach assets of Francis to satisfy both judgments.
Entrepreneur Joe Francis made headlines earlier this month after he issued a cease-and-desist letter to Madonna, NBC Universal and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell demanding that the pop icon refrain from performing her new song “Girls Gone Wild” at the Super Bowl.